Early Years Pupil Premium

Recent studies show that there is a 19 month gap in 'school readiness' between the most and least advantaged children. The Early Years Pupil Premium aims to reduce this inequality.

Introduction of the Early Years Pupil Premium for three and four year olds from April 2015 is intended to support providers to bridge this gap with additional funding, approximately £300 for each eligible child. It will be a system in which money follows the child from the new two year old free entitlement right through to the school-age Pupil Premium.

Early years providers have a key opportunity to maximise this additional funding to improve children's outcomes and to boost disadvantaged children's achievement.

It will be Ofsted's task to monitor the impact of the funding, and this is likely to become an important aspect of future inspections.

What next?

So from April 2015, extra funding is available to support some three and four year old children on funded childcare places.

If your child attends any of the following childcare settings that is graded by OfSTED as outstanding, good or requires improvement they can claim this extra funding:

  • child-minder
  • pre school/playgroup
  • day nursery
  • nursery class or sessions at a school
  • nursery school



Three and four year olds will be eligible if their parents are in receipt of one of the following benefits:

  • income Support
  • income-based Jobseekers Allowance
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
  • the guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
  • child Tax Credit (provided you're not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
  • working Tax Credit run on - paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit.


In addition, a child will be eligible if they:

  • have been looked after by the local authority for at least one day
  • have been adopted from care
  • have left care through special guardianship; and
  • are subject to a child arrangement order



Your childcare setting will need your permission and details (National Insurance Number, your date of birth and surname) to apply for this extra funding. Speak to them about Early Years Pupil Premium (EYPP) and share with them that you want to be invoiced in how the money is spent in the best interests of your child.